As a Suffern poolscaping and landscaping professional, I am often asked for my opinion regarding landscaping software. I make it my business to test out a lot of the available landscaping packages to see what’s hot and what’s not. I can report that they are all competent – most of the differences are based on price. I’ll identify some of the packages I’ve tried, but I suggest you perform your own research before making a decision.
- Jonas Software: This is a completely-integrated one-stop-shop package offering accounting, construction and service management support. The company claims that over 1,200 professional landscapers use the package. The 40 different modules are integrated to improve efficiency and drive revenue. You get solutions for accounting, service management, job costing, inventory and equipment management, project management and document management. The software operates in mobile and web portal contexts. Many small companies like the integrated payroll module.
- FieldOne Systems: This package focuses on helping landscapers run and manage daily operations. You get features such as a historical database, purchase order tracking, custom reporting, inventory management, service call management, work orders, dispatching and scheduling. FieldOne is characterized by the minimal amount of data entry necessary to run a field service business. I would judge them as offering a lot of value for the price.
- The HindSite Solution: The name may sound like it belongs in a science-fiction movie, but the package is a high-quality tool for managing a field service or maintenance business. The software stresses a paperless solution, and combines support for field and office operations. You can schedule tasks, maintain contacts and manage jobs. The package interfaces with Simply Accounting, Peachtree or QuickBooks to manage invoicing.
- Desco Electronic Service Control: A generalized service management package that can be adapted to support a landscaping business. You can manage a customer database, job dispatching and billing with this software. This package is easier to use than most, though it would benefit from an UNDO button.
- FieldAware Field Service Management: Made for the landscaping industry, this package allows you to streamline scheduling, manage leads, track worker productivity and manage invoicing. Apps available as web-based or native mobile. You get digital work orders, accounting integration, appointment management, billing and invoicing, inventory management, job tracking and GPS tracking.
- Dynacom Field Service Management Solution: Another generalized package for service-based companies. You can manage appointments, work orders, scheduling, service contracts and equipment warranties. Other features include support for project timesheets, customer relationship management and inventory control. It is tightly integrated with Dynacom accounting software.